Week in Review: Sept. 5-9, 2011
It was a very short easy week, even though we had a four days of school.
Math Bam Bam finished rounding numbers in MUS. Primpress completed her unit on adding +0. Math Mammoth work reviewed sums with 10.
Language Arts Both the children finished up last week's Writing With Ease work, spelling, First Language Lessons and Rod & Staff grammar. They had this completed by Wednesday, so Thursday and Friday were very short easy days. We did keep on reading, though.
History We knocked out quite a bit in history. Two chapters, plus coloring sheets and map work. For some reason, the kids found Sargon and the Akkadians absolutely riveting. He was even incorporated into the kids' play - hearing the name Sargon drift in through the screen door. Cracks me up! This afternoon I'll let the children make Joseph's colored coat as an art activity. I'll take a picture and post it here when they are finished with them.
Other Unfortunately, Meet the Masters art program is having problems on its website. It is unavailable while they work out the kinks. That wrecked my plans for introducing Mary Cassatt and the art project for the week.
We had a for-fun trip to the library. No school books involved - just pick out whatever strikes your fancy. The book bags were filled with books about trucks, fire trucks, dump trucks, trains, turtles, and storybooks. BamBam gravitates towards the non-fiction while Primpress loves all storybooks. BabyBear picks out three books and then heads straight for the Thomas the Train table at the library.
We've been enjoying the wonderful 70 degree weather. The windows have stayed open all week long. We did our read-aloud in the backyard tree house this week. The kids thought I was the coolest Mom ever!
We logged 60 minutes in the Million Minute Family Challenge. One of the games in the kit was a little too advanced for the kids, but they wanted to try it anyhow. I asked a too-hard question about states to BamBam. I was no longer the coolest Mom ever. *sigh* It was fun while it lasted. BamBam came into my bedroom late last night and told me that I need to teach him all the states next week so that he'll get the right answer next week during Family Game Night. Okie dokie - I'll get right on that, coming up with an entire unit on 50 states to be completed in 5 days. :)
My Mom bought me a new rug for the living room. (Well, she bought it for her bedroom, but then realized it would be perfect at my house - don't you love it when that happens?) I love it because it goes so well with the colors in my living room. The kids love it because it has roads. The kids imagined a town named Bumbleeberg. It was begging to be built. The Smurfs built their homes using mushrooms. My kids built homes using blocks, boxes and books. :) Bumbleeberg was built in the morning. The kids insisted that Daddy Jayhawk must witness this magnificent creation, so it stayed all. day. long. in the one room we use the most.
AND lots and lots of laundry got done. (I know, it's not school-related, but it's important!)
Have a great weekend!
8 comments:
I love that expression on the baby's face! Sounds like you guys had a very productive and fun week.
Nice week - and I love the "road" carpet!
I love the last two pictures! It reminds me of the things my girls build for our rabbit.
What a great week and what a fun rug! It looks like they're making good use of it. :-)
The rug is fabulous. My kids would have loved it also.
I'm jealous of your 70 degree weather. I wish it would just get below 100. :-p
I love your pictures!
Love your pictures! I too am using Meet the Maters but we have not gone beyond Van Gough.
I love the rug and the imaginitive play your kids had with it. I think my girls would have done the same thing...including leaving it out all day so dad can see it when he gets home. In fact, we had a large puzzle on the floor over here that we had to step around for a day and a half or so. I love library fun days too!
Laundry is important! Looks like you had a great week. I hope Meet the Masters is up soon as I had hoped to use it this week.
Post a Comment