Curriculum Update for the 2011-2012 School Year
I thought I would record this year's curricula. So, without further ado:
Math - We're sticking with Math U See again this year. Bam Bam is working in the Beta book and Primpress is in the Alpha Book.
In addition to MUS, we're supplementing with Math Mammoth. I really like Math Mammoth and it's helping Bam Bam and Primpress cement their math facts.
Language Arts - The best book for teaching reading: The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading.
And sticking with Peace Hill Press, we have Writing With Ease (WWE): Levels 1 and 2.
and First Language Lessons for Primpress.
I've gone with Rod and Staff's Grammar, but I'm somewhat kicking myself and thinking perhaps I should utilize FLL 2 with BamBam. I still may do that, but I need to decide quickly as we are already into our third week of school. I was warned the R&S was heavy with the Bible, but I was not prepared for how heavy! How do you feel about incomplete sentences? Would you classify them as a sin? R&S comes pretty darn close to that. :)
Our spelling book is Spelling Workout: Levels A and B.
We use the Sonlight Readers (levels 2 and 3) for our reading. It doesn't match up all nice and neat with our history reading, but I'm okay with it.
History - As much as I LOVED and ADORED Tapestry of Grace, when it came down to purchasing this year's curriculum, it just was not in the budget. I'm sad about that. I had Story of the World 1 and it's activity guide already on hand, and with approximately $0 left in the school budget envelope, the decision was made. However, it's been good. I've always like SOTW, but it seems the little ones are coming around to it as well.
Science - Once again, Daddy Jayhawk is in charge of Science (hallelujah!). This year they are using Apologia's Flying Creatures.
Art/Music/Bible - We're using Meet the Masters for art, Vox Music Masters CD set, and a Bible story coloring book.

0 comments:
Post a Comment