Monday, October 31, 2011

Week in Review: Oct. 24-28, 2011

A quick, picture-free week in review:

Math BamBam finished his unit on counting by fives and nickels. He's moved onto counting money using dollars. It's been a seamless transition. I'm impressed with how MUS has planned their money units. Primpress worked on +8s. Again, she relates well to the vacuum 8 sucking up two of the other number to make 10. Math Mammoth was a total bomb this week... and not in a good way. For some reason, neither child caught onto the concept of 'how many more.' I pushed against it early in the week, but by the end of the week, I was ready to chuck the entire chapter out. I'm still very happy with Math Mammoth, and we will continue to use both MUS and MM.

Language Arts Week 11 of WWE went well. BamBam worked on narrations from 101 Dalmatians. Primpress is learning how to listen well and answer questions in complete sentences. She worked with passages from The Trumpet of the Swan. BamBam successfully found nouns and verbs in sentences, as well as separating sentences into two parts (a precursor to finding subject and predicate). Primpress is coming along quite well in FLL. We're STILL working on nouns. *sigh* I like the pace of BamBam's R&S much better than FLL. Reading is reading... nothing too exciting there. Reading is still on my list of things I need to step up.

History A fun week, we worked on King Tut and talked about Queen Hatshepsut! BamBam really got into this chapter. He has a coloring book that talks about King Tut, the Valley of the Kings, and Howard Carter. We wrapped up this week with a trip to the Nelson-Atkins with Papa Ron to check out the mummy and treasures found in an Egyptian tomb. Another mini-book was added to our SOTW lapbooks.

Other We learned about Gideon, Samson, and Ruth & Naomi this week in our Bible studies. I've started having the children give me a review of the previous Bible story before we move onto the new story. It's working well to help them retain the stories. Science was un-schooled, again, this week. Memory work was intentional and thoughtful this week - yay!

Have a great week!

0 comments:

About This Blog

Homeschooling Mom to 5 beautiful children.

Daddy Jayhawk = My husband. Best. Husband. Ever.

Punk = 16 yo son in public high school

BamBam = 8 yo son, homeschools

Primpress = 7 yo daughter, homeschools

KP, aka Baby Bear = 4 yo son, makes messes

Seamus = 1 yo son, absolute chaos

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP