Week in Review - Nov. 29 - Dec. 3
A pictureless week in review. It's not because I didn't take pictures, I just didn't take pictures of school.
Math was the big deal this week. BamBam started in on subtraction. He's getting the hang of it. He knows how to find the correct answer, but I can tell he needs a bit more "thinking" about the process. I'll probably try to incorporate some more hands-on, unschooling methods, in addition to his workbook, to help him get a real grasp on it.
The Primpress began her new math book. She's quickly catching up, completing 4 weeks of math in just 4 days. Don't worry - it's very easy stuff for her and she just flies right through it. As she begins to encounter skills that are more challenging, we'll slow down.
BabyBear makes me smile. He'll randomly start counting to 10. If you ask him to perform, he'll stop at 6, but any other time he counts all the way to 10.
BamBam is working on action verbs this week in First Language Lessons.
The Primpress is just about finished with long-vowel introductions. She, somehow, can read beyond her instructional level. She has intuitively picked up long-vowels on her own. However, we continue to plug along because I think it's important for her to know the why's behind the phonics. I can see it clicking in her brain. What an amazing process and I'm so lucky and glad and thrilled to be the one teaching her to read!
Everything else was pretty mundane. Spelling, memory work, etc.
Monday was a lot of fun. My Dad came over to spend the day with us. As the meanie Mom, I still made the kids do their schoolwork. The kids enjoyed "showing off" their knowledge to Papa, plus Papa got to see just how efficient one-on-one schooling can be. I think he was shocked that our school day was so short. I also made another dress for the PrimPress. I'll post photos soon. She doesn't seem as thrilled with this style of dress. I'm already planning on making another Miss Madeline dress for her.
On Tuesday, Daddy Jayhawk and I had an appointment for our level 2 ultrasound. After meeting with a genetic counselor (I'm advanced maternal age, ugh!), we got to see our little baby BOY! He looks very healthy and measures 2 weeks ahead. He weighs 1 lb, 1 oz. I'm finally starting to relax a bit with this pregnancy, but I'm still anxious for the 25th week to get here. At that point, babies have a greater than 50% chance of survival.
Wednesday and Thursday were normal school days. We started a new tradition on Dec. 1st. I bought 25 Christmas-themed books and wrapped them all up individually. Each night the children have taken turns picking out one book/present. They get to unwrap the book and we read it together as a family. I envisioned the family all cuddling together, sipping hot chocolate, reading by the light of the glow from the Christmas tree. It hasn't exactly been the calm or ideal fantasy I thought it would be, but it's a step toward pulling together the family. I love it.
Thursday night I hit some sort of wall. Physically, mentally, emotionally. I. was. done. Cooked. Fried. Choose your verb. (Mine all deal with food, hmm, wonder why?) In bed in the 8 o'clock hour, slept all night (it's been a while since that has happened), and still out-of-it on Friday. So, Friday was a day off from official school. We lazed around reading tons of books, colored, wrote cards for Daddy Jayhawk, and ate an entire cake right after lunch. It was a good day.
We only have a couple of commitments this weekend and I'm so glad. I am in "hunkering down" mode. I want to stay home and eat lots of white carbs and drink hot chocolate and read books and listen to the kids laugh. I'm going to do all of that in between having family over for a meal, attending a work-related Christmas party, and going to church.
0 comments:
Post a Comment