(Two) Week(s) in Review - Jan. 17-28
The week of January 17th did not start out very well. On Monday, I got sick. Pregnancy induced low blood sugar with low blood pressure resulted in an almost passed out and VERY tired Mama. No school Monday.
Tuesday, I went in for my three hour blood glucose test. With traveling time, I was gone until afternoon. No school Tuesday.
Wednesday and Thursday were normal school days.
Friday, Daddy Jayhawk stayed home. No school Friday. Not the most productive week, but I must say that it's one of the wonderful benefits of homeschooling year-round. We can have an off week here or there.
The week of January 24th made up for the previous week.
Math The Primpress completed three weeks worth of math in 5 short days. She loves math. Thanks to the skip-counting CDs, she breezed through the chapters on counting by 2s and 10s. BamBam had a "perfect" week. He did not miss any problems on his subtraction work. He was/is quite proud of himself. I picked up Farm Magnetic Pattern Blocks as a for-fun supplement to our math. It has been quite the hit. The kids have played for HOURS making shapes.
Language Arts BamBam has finally met his match with OPGTR. He's reading large multi-syllabic words based on Latin and Greek roots. He has suddenly had to slow down and really work at his reading. He gets discouraged, but I keep praising him and tell him how wonderful it is that he's finally starting to get to some really difficult words. Likewise, the Primpress has needed some review as the OPGTR has moved quickly through vowel digraphs. We've been reviewing "ai", "ay", "ey", "ea" (long a sound) and "ea" (long e sound).
One of the highlights of the week was watching and listening to BamBam and the Primpress write a book during their play time. Primpress asked if BamBam would write down a story so that they could make a book. BamBam obliged. The book, The Princess and the Pony, was written by Primpress and illustrated by BamBam. During this time the kids discussed the reader's point of view, debated word choice, and worked together to publish their book - all this wonderful learning opportunity under the guise of playtime. It was sweet and endearing. I am so thankful to be able to homeschool my children.
We started reading aloud The Reluctant Dragon. We first of the book through Writing With Ease, BamBam's writing workbook. So far, it's a hit.
Other We will be finally be getting started on Meet the Masters Art Curriculum this week. I had been putting it off since before Christmas. I needed some art supplies, plus I hadn't taken the time to get acquainted with the program. This last week allowed me some time to get organized and I am excited!
0 comments:
Post a Comment