Week in Review - Jan. 31 - Feb. 4, 2011
Like most of the country, we were caught up in the Blizzard of 2011. However, it didn't stop us from having school (except for Punk, he had Tuesday - Thursday off due to the weather). Daddy Jayhawk also worked from home. What a great week we had!
Math I'd say that BamBam has 80% of his subtractions facts down pat. I'm so proud of him. He doesn't act like he particularly enjoys math sometimes, but he's doing very well. Primpress is still working on her addition. She was introduced to unknowns this week. She seems to understand that basic concept and does well with the blocks. However, she does not have any of her math facts mastered, but I try to tell myself that this is OKAY. Right now, her kindergarten math program is to simply introduce her to these new math concepts. I plan to spend a bit more time on review of her addition plus ones, as well as skip counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s.
The kids enjoyed indoor games, especially Twister, during the snowfall.
Language Arts BamBam finished up The Chalk Box Kid this week. He'll be starting Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie next week.
Primpress has been reading from an old 1914 Elson reading primer that showed up as a freebie from Homeschool Freebie of the Day. She has enjoyed the simple sweet stories and the lightly illustrated pages. Scroll down to Jan. 31st to get the download. It's over 100 pages long, but I printed it two pages to an 8.5x11 sheet, there's not much print on a page, so it doesn't use up a lot of ink, just paper.
Primpress has also started in on long i vowel digraphs this week. She's slowing coming along and she enjoys her reading time.
Other I kind-of, sort-of, maybe bit the bullet in regards to history. After spending an inordinate amount of time researching Sonlight for our history earlier this year, Daddy Jayhawk and I decided that it probably was not going to be a good fit for us. I had thought that I'd just put off Story of the World One until next fall because we did not have a good start with it. In fact, BamBam hated it. (I like it - it's easy to pick up and go - and it seemed to work just fine for the Punk). Anyhow, after lots and lots of more searching and testing and browsing, I've purchased the first year, first unit for Tapestry of Grace. It's certainly not a pick-it-up and go program. It requires planning and forethought. No flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants schooling allowed. Which, really, when you think about it, is a good thing, right? TOG incorporates history in the classical four-year cycle, with geography skills, literature, writing, fine arts, and Biblical worldview. What more could you ask for? (I will continue to utilize the Sonlight reading lists, Writing With Ease, and Meet the Masters - those are too much of a success to give up right now).
I'm a little worried about the planning, especially when the newest member of our clan arrives. But, my fears and worries are far outweighed by what I've seen. The amount of information is staggering - not only in regards to historical content, but all the teacher helps, math aids, writing aids, printables, links to websites and movie recommendations. It's a very full program. It's meant to be a buffet, not a check-everything-off-the-list program. I think I can handle that.
I spent hours and hours planning out the first week. I had so much I needed to wade through online and in the Digital Edition I purchased. I think the first week is planned. And then this morning, I was able to pretty quickly whip out the second week plan in about an hour. My only other concern is the availability of the recommended books. We have a great library system, but even so, I had to interlibrary loan request for several of the books just for the first week. Now let's just pray that it's a hit with the children!
We also started in on Meet the Masters this week. HUGE HIT! Woo-hoo! What a relief! This first week was an introduction to the artists that we would be covering in the unit.
The kids made portfolios to store their work.
Showing off their work
The little ones also enjoyed a very brief excursion into the snow.
Whew, this was a long week in review. Hopefully next week I'll have good news about Tapestry of Grace plus a little Van Gogh inspired art.
0 comments:
Post a Comment