Week in Review January 3-7, 2011
Math BamBam continues to excel in subtraction. He's completed Week 21 and rarely used the MUS blocks. PrimPress has moved onto completing actual math problems (ex. 2 + 1 = 3 versus pictorial math problems) and she thinks she is such a big girl, which she is. :)
Language Arts I'm glad that Writing With Ease has such a gentle approach, but I think BamBam is ready for more of a challenge. However, I'll keep plugging away at it and let him enjoy writing "to-do lists" every day. Both he and the PrimPress start their days out by writing out a to-do list. I love it. I think they are inspired by my Motivated Moms list.
The Primpress has just about completed the long-vowel section of The Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading. It's interesting to watch how she learns. It's quite a bit different from BamBam. BamBam just wanted the basics and took off, but Primpress needs almost every rule explained to her. She grasps it quickly and is reading well, it's just different. It's been way too long ago for me to remember how Punk learned.
BamBam is flying along in OPGTR and should be finishing it before the new baby makes his appearance. I'm trying to get my act together to provide more challenging reading material for him. The children have always loved visiting the library, but their new tote bags that they received for Christmas is just making it all the more fun. They love to load up their bags.
Science In addition to all the books I've checked out from the library, the little ones have been enjoying tons of Bill Nye DVDs.
They've watched: The Moon, Space Exploration, The Planets, The Sun, and Comets & Meteors so far. While the programs are geared toward 4th grade and up, the kids have gotten quite a bit out of them. They've sparked some great discussions, as well.
Other We've had some music appreciation with Classical Kids: Bach Comes to Call. I really like this series and plan on checking out more from the library.
Which reminds me, I need to amp up the memory work. I mentioned doing that almost a month ago. Needless to say, the holidays threw a little wrench in my organizational skills. I'm back at it, though. Call it a New Year's Resolution, if you must. :)
Oh, and naptime isn't too bad, either.
0 comments:
Post a Comment