Week in Review: Sept. 26-30, 2011
Do you ever have a week that feels like you're wading through chest-deep mud just to get the basic things accomplished? Yeah. That was this week. On the bright side, it got easier and easier as the week progressed.
I'd first like to share this little gem written by MMV. That'll put a little fire in your homeschooling. I've read it before, but this time I printed it out and put it in my home binder for frequent review.
Math PrimPress has moved on to +2 facts. Again, she's flying through the work. I think she's going to be my math-y child. BamBam is working on addition with regrouping (carrying). I gave myself a pep talk, I was going to be very patient, prepared for this to take a while. Surprise! He got it right off the bat - makes total sense to him. *shoo* *wiping my brow* School is starting to feel a little more serious with him. No longer is it simple addition and flash cards, it's the big stuff!
Language Arts Week 7 of WWE is in the books. I'm grateful that WWE is only four days per week. Spelling, Week 7, done. Grammar in Rod & Staff and FLL, done. Reading, done. Although, I need to be a little more consistent with Primpress when it comes to OPGTR. She's reading very well, but I do want to make sure we cover everything.
BamBam working on spelling. And yes, his pencil grip, I know. :)
The first mini-book - What is Astronomy?
Primpress working on her lapbook.
History We completed Chapter 9 in SOTW 1. We also started a lapbook for history. I did a little jig around the house when I found this blog and her FREE downloadable SOTW1 lapbook. Yeah, I was that excited!
BamBam and his lapbook.
Does anyone else have children who add crazy things to their history work? We colored a ziggurat last week. BamBam felt the need to add parking spaces and a motorcycle next to the ziggurat. Statue of Hammarabi? Well, he obviously needs the rest of his body and roller skates on his feet. Map of Akkadia and Babylonia? Let's put in an "M" for McDonald's next to Babylon. I told the children that this week they needed to keep their work a little more serious. Am I a killjoy?
Primpress is proud of her lapbook.
I really didn't think that I'd be a lapbook kind of teacher, nor that the kids would be that interested. However, it's been absolutely wonderful to work with the children on their lapbooks. We have great conversations sitting around the table coloring, cutting, and gluing. Yesterday we talked about everything from the difference between African elephants and the elephants that lived in the Indus River Valley to eating habits of nomads.
Other Music has fallen by the wayside. It'll pick back up when the weather gets bad and we're stuck inside. For now, as soon as the seatwork is finished, the kids are outdoors playing.
BamBam takes his time getting moving in the morning. His favorite thing to do is stagger into the living room, grab his latest reading book, and curl up in a chair. I've decided to let him take his time in the morning. It seems to be working out okay. Primpress, on the other hand, is barely out of bed before she's seated at the table and working. She can't wait to get started with school. I hope I can keep that drive alive in her. Any suggestions?
I need to pick out a new read-aloud. We've finished The Cricket in Times Square. The kids loved it. Even better, when the kids are too loud in the evening, I tell them that I'd like to listen to the cricket music and they get very silent. Ahhhh. :)
Seamus had his six-month check-up this week. 95% for height. 90% for weight. I blame Daddy Jayhawk for these giant kids. They're all going to be taller than me by the time they are ten.
Seamus had his six-month check-up this week. 95% for height. 90% for weight. I blame Daddy Jayhawk for these giant kids. They're all going to be taller than me by the time they are ten.
Other things that we're enjoying:
- Dreaming about all the fun things we could make with fresh milk from a miniature Jersey cow. Somehow, I don't think my outdoor clothesline-forbidding, chicken-hating city would let me have a cow.
- The Kids Should See This website - lots of fun videos. The boys especially enjoyed the Haka dance from this week.
- How To Draw series from Blue Tadpole Studio. Free printables!
- Line drawing at Art with Mr. E. Fabulous art website!
Have a great weekend!
3 comments:
Looks like a great week! What spelling are you using?
We use Spelling Workout. I pull all the pages out of the workbook.
Love your post. I will have to check out the STOW lapbook. I can so relate to the music lessons being put ont he back burner. Hopefully I can find a way to work everything in.
Post a Comment