Week in Review: Oct. 10-14, 2011
On Monday, Grandma G had the day off. We went with her to see the homeschooling movie of the year, Dolphin Tale. The kids loved it. They've been drawing pictures of Winter, the dolphin, all week long.
Baby Seamus has started making silly and cute faces at us. He's just like his sister. She made silly faces as a baby.
As far as academics go, this week completed our first quarter of school. I can't believe it! There are still things I want to implement and solidify into our schedule (sewing, piano, art!). How can the year be a quarter over? I better get on the ball!
Primpress's Spelling Test
Math BamBam finished up a short unit on counting by 10s and working with dimes. Primpress has moved onto addition +9. She loves MUS's explanation of the nine wanting to be a ten and vacuuming up the other number.
Language Arts BamBam started reading Third Grade Detectives #2. Primpress is still reading the Bible. I'm going to give us a little break and move onto a fiction book for fun.
History We completed Chapter 11 in SOTW1. We didn't get around to adding our lapbook mini-book, so we'll be finishing that up next week.
BamBam's Map Work
The supplemental reading was a big hit this week, particularly the Anansi stories.
Starting this next week, I'm going to be more intentional about the supplemental readings for history. The kids enjoy them and it gives them a better view of history.
Other We've continued to work on our astronomy lapbooks. We'll be at it for a while, but that's okay. I call it comprehensive review. :) It's buckle-down time in other areas. I must be more intentional and consistent with memory work. Art, piano, music, and sewing need time devoted to them. Writing is going well, but I need to step it up with regards to narration, perhaps even add in some written narration sheets for science and history. Oh, and math facts. Can anyone recommend a fun program for memorizing math facts? Computer-based? Worksheets? Thanks!
And one last item this past week... My darling first baby boy turned 16 years old over the weekend. We didn't get much time with the Punk. It was homecoming weekend. He served on the Color Guard for the parade on Thursday. He spent Friday with his friends and did Color Guard and Sword Arch for the football game. Saturday was spent at a Chili Festival with his girlfriend's family, and then out with his friends that night for the Homecoming Dance. On Sunday we celebrated with an ice cream sundae bar with family. Oh my! He's growing up! I'm pretty sure he'll be hitting me up to take him to the drivers' license station soon. :)
Have a great week!

0 comments:
Post a Comment