Friday, December 2, 2011

THREE Weeks in Review: Nov. 14 - Dec. 2

For the first week of this three weeks in review, Daddy Jayhawk was out of town on a business trip. We did school for three days, then took the last two off.

For the second week, we did school for two days, then took the last three off for Thanksgiving break.

This past week, we did schoolwork every day. It was comforting to be back to our routine.

In the middle of all of this we dealt with:

- meltdown by BamBam over Dad's absence (he's such a sweet Daddy's boy - thank goodness for Skype)
- McDonald's Play Place - enough said
- two round trip drives to the airport
- had three new teeth appear in Seamus' mouth (growing up too fast!)
- out-of-state NJROTC competition for the Punk
- one trip to the doctor for the Punk - good news, no broken bones (just a swollen and aggravated knuckle)
- one trip to the doctor for Baby Bear - bad news, double ear infection
- potty training regression (and while on antibiotics - NOT fun!)
- a nasty cold for me that kept me out of commission for 4 days
- completed a 1000 piece puzzle with the kids
- Thanksgiving and all the cooking that goes with it
- Thanksgiving and all the visiting with friends and family that goes with it (LOVE IT!)
- decorating for Christmas :)
- finished reading Getting Things Done and feel pressure to now actually 'get things done'
- set up a new online task list system in an effort to 'get things done'
- almost all of the Christmas shopping completed
- I'm sure there's more, but I'm exhausted just listing this

And did I take any pictures during all of this?

No.

Well, I did take one pic.


That's it - that's all I got. :(

------

Random Funny

Daddy Jayhawk to Baby Bear: How does Santa get into our house?

Baby Bear: He picks his nose and goes in the fireplace.

------

So, school. The purpose of this blog...

Math Both BamBam and Primpress are doing very well. Primpress has really gotten the hang of word problems. She consistently knows when to solve for unknowns versus solving for a sum. BamBam has flown through addition with regrouping and moved right along to column addition. In the midst of this, he's also gotten pretty good at counting money. I'm impressed with Math Mammoth - it has given the children great review of their math facts. Both children are finishing up Chapter 13 in MUS.

Language Arts I've gotten Primpress back into OPGTR. She loves it! She's well over halfway through the book and is sailing through her lessons. She continues to read the Bible. We are working on improving her listening and recall skills with WWE1. BamBam completed Week 16 in WWE2. This week introduced adjectives and he caught right on. He also completed two weeks of R&S Grammar, including working on pronouns. I'm still not on the ball with his reading. For fun he's reading James and the Giant Peach and The Spiderwick Chronicles. I need to move him into a higher level for reading instruction than where I had him. But, for now, I'll just let him spend his mornings reading for fun.

History It's been a fun few weeks in SOTW. We're getting into Greek mythology.  We watched a documentary on the Ancient Aegean, read books such as The Hero and the Minotaur and Atlantis, and continue to work on our lapbooks.

Other We've listened to some Mendelssohn and lots of Christmas muic. We're reading The BFG. We've had some kid-level, but yet very deep theological discussions on heaven. The kids have helped in the kitchen quite a bit, including learning how to make their own oatmeal in the microwave (does that count)? Impromptu science lessons on ice and states of matter due to the below freezing temps outside.

Up next: Birthdays (yes, plural) and Christmas! It's a busy time of the year. I want to do more than I have time or energy for. Oh, you, too? *grin* Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

SCGS December 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM  

What an exhausting November you have had! I don't suppose December will be less busy but I hope it involves more of the fun stuff and less doctor visits! :D

Mary December 2, 2011 at 2:52 PM  

Sounds busy!!

Sydni December 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM  

Sometimes pictures are too tiring to try to take! We love the BFG! Enjoy.

MissMOE December 3, 2011 at 9:53 PM  

You completed quite a lot of school considering you've been feeling under the weather, had sick kids, Dad out of town, and so many days off of school---You Rock!

About This Blog

Homeschooling Mom to 5 beautiful children.

Daddy Jayhawk = My husband. Best. Husband. Ever.

Punk = 16 yo son in public high school

BamBam = 8 yo son, homeschools

Primpress = 7 yo daughter, homeschools

KP, aka Baby Bear = 4 yo son, makes messes

Seamus = 1 yo son, absolute chaos

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP